Tuesday, May 24, 2011

We Made It!

Well, we did it! We made the move. I have to be completely honest here (I mean a blog is where you share your deepest, darkest truths, right?) When Joe came to me several months ago and told me he would like to apply for a job in Germany, I thought "What could be the harm? He might not get it anyway, right?" I honestly didn't think that it would pan out, so when he told me that he'd been offered the job, I suddenly realized the enormity of it all. Moving internationally...with a 3 year old...almost 7 months pregnant. Friends have called me brave, but actually, I think I am just plain nuts. However, we have done this before. And, like before, I know that in the end we'll be glad we have the experience under our belts. Afterall, we are giving our kids an amazing opportunity to be immersed in a new culture, visit fun and exciting places, and hopefully, learn a new language while we're at it (at least a little).

So, now that the shock has worn off, I can tell you that our first week or so in Marburg has been a success. Joe is obviously working, so that leaves E and I the daytime to explore our new surroundings. We are currently living in a hotel, which is wonderful and beautiful. I mean, I haven't made my own bed since I got here and the laundry magically washes itself. Since this is probably the last time in my life that I will get to say that, I am going to enjoy it while I can. However, I must say that I am very excited to move into our apartment in July, so that E has more room to run, and I have a bigger kitchen to get creative in (at least until the baby gets here, when I'm sure we'll be back in carry-out mode for a while).

This week, Emmett and I found all the important things: the best place to feed ducks in the river, the best lunch spots, the neighborhood grocery store, the playgrounds, all of the public restrooms (since Baby B seems to be using my bladder as a trampoline these days), and of course, the toy store. As far as E is concerned, there are no other necessities in life. Ahhh, to be three again!

We have the beautiful old Botanical Gardens, which serves as a wonderful picnic area (plus there is a pond to throw rocks in, so E is in heaven). Joe took us to the zoo in Frankfurt, which is beautiful and much bigger than we anticipated...let's just say that the season pass will be a must. And, last weekend, we took our first day trip to the town of Koblenz. Beautiful. That will be in a separate blog post.

So, as with anything there are pros and cons. Here is how the list is playing out for us right now:
Pros:
* Beautiful scenery
* New places to explore
* New people to meet
* Tasty news foods to eat
* Wonderful new memories to be made

Con:
* Missing all of you :(

So, friends and family, if you are up for a little European adventure, please know that the Balleydier Haus is always open (as of July, that is). Free room and board...you just have to offer up a night of babysitting :)

We love and miss you all!

Missy, Joe, and Big E

2 comments:

MommyBrain said...

Oh, we miss you, too! Glad to see that you and E have everything that you need! Cannot wait to make the trip over! Hugs from the NW!!

Anonymous said...

Missy, Joe and Emmett, we miss you terribly but you are so good about calling, that means a lot. Emmett is so lucky to be seeing and doing everything. Hope to come and see you all soon. Love MOM AND DAD.