Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Light at the End of the Tunnel

Last night, Emmett moved out of the CVICU and into a step-down unit on 3 West. This was a huge accomplishment--only 5 days post surgery! That is the soonest he has left the ICU yet. We requested a twin size bed so that we could lay next to him and watch movies. Last night, Joe stayed, and tonight I'll be the lucky one snuggling up next to Emmett. We have tried to get him a little exercise today. We went for a couple wagon rides, sat outside in the sun, and played with him on the floor a bit. He can't hold weight on his legs yet, but we'll keep trying. He STILL won't talk to us. I would be concerned, but he did the same thing last time. If this silent treatment is any indication of what he is going to be like as a teenager, we're in serious trouble :)

He had a chest xray, echocardiogram, and bloodwork today. As far as we know, they all looked good. They took out his temporary pacing wires today and removed his last IV. They just now took him off oxygen to see how he does. If this positive trend continues, he will be discharged on Thursday. God is good!

The Big Move!


Sharing my new bed with Mommy


Taking a stroll in the sun

5 comments:

@Colorado_Mom said...

Lots and Lots of hugs to you guys! Let me know if you need anything when you get back!

~ Emily

Chi-town momma said...

He looks fantastic! I am in awe that it hasn't been a week since doctors and nurses were working inside his little body!!! ENjoy all the snuggle time. And I hope he squeaks out a little, "Love you, momma" your way soon!

Cari said...

Aww! He looks great for only being 5 days post op!! I hope he starts chattering away at you soon!

MommyBrain said...

Seeing the two of you together has me weeping ... tears of joy ... but also some sadness thinking what you've been through ... you and that cutie patootie of yours are so amazing! And I love you very much!

Can't wait to hear what he says for his first "official" sentence! Have a feeling it will be memorable!

Sarah Heinle said...

I'm a mom from the Mommy and Me group. I wanted to stop by on the site and see how he is doing. I can't even imagine what you all have been going through but he looks like he is having a great recovery. You are all in our prayers. I look forward to updates.

If there is anything I can help with when you return, I'd happy to help out where I can.