Monday, August 17, 2009

Signing Times

For the first 19 months of my life, I have showed very little (if any) interest in TV. I just couldn't find anything on that rectangular box that was more entertaining than my own strange parents. Recently though, I have started to watch DVDs called Signing Times (www.signingtime.com) that teach basic sign language to kids like me. They were made by a woman who has a daughter that was born deaf. Sometimes Mama thinks I'm deaf, but I'm just ignoring her.

Anyway, my buddy Mekaya knows lots of sign language, and my Mom's been trying to teach me some signs for a while now. I really didn't see what all the fuss was about until this week. I was eating some yummy treats and I wanted more, so I signed "more" to Mama. She was so excited that I was signing that she gave me more treats. So I signed "more" again, and guess what? She gave me more! I immediately began to realize the power of this signing thing...when I ask for something using my hands, I get it! If I had known it would be this easy, I would have started months ago.

In the past week, I have started using all of the following signs: more, eat, milk, water, full, flower, dog, airplane, elephant, bird, shoes, thank you, and my personal favorite--ice cream! Mama was only a little worried that signing might make me talk less than I already do (what can I say, I'm a man of few words), but actually I've been talking more since I started signing. And the best part is that I don't get frustrated and grunt anymore, because Mommy and Daddy know what I want. Here is a video of me showing my stuff. Prepare to be dazzled...

2 comments:

cookie.net said...

Emmett that is a good job doing sign language that you do, that is so neat. Ithink I could even get to understand you doing it. Great job.
LOVE YOU
GRANDMA COOKIE

MommyBrain said...

Wow! That is awesome! And I am so glad you are feeling less frustrated! Communication is tough ... now that you've got the hand signals figured out, you'll be chatting your momma's ear off in no time ... believe me, I know what that's like!